Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No End In Sight

Me and Julia watched this film last night. It talks about the war in Iraq from its beginning until now, and suggests that things are only getting worse and worse.

I think that it was good for me to see this because I feel like I knew very little about the war prior to watching this film. I didn't know the history, or what America was doing to try and help the country. Well, according to this film, we haven't really helped the country at all. What America advertised as "a war on terrorism" really turned out to be more of a war on Saddam Hussain according to this film. However, Iraqis did welcome this help and were glad to be rid of this man. The real problem came afterward when America stood by and let, and even helped the country destroy itself. From what this film said, it seemed like a few American individuals were given way too much power and then they used it to make terrible mistakes, not listening to the experts or heeding their advice. Now, in interviews with Iraqis they will tell you that things are much worse than when Hussain was in power.

The film is definitely very one sided and the filmmaker's goal is obvious. I felt a little bad for one of the men the director interviewed who he constantly attacked again and again without giving the man a lot of chance to defend himself. He would get dirt about the guy from another interviewee and then use it to go back and attack the guy again. He makes other people look bad also by saying they refused to be interviewed for the film, but it I was one of those people, and I knew I'd made even the smallest mistake, and I knew anything about what the filmmaker was trying to do, I wouldn't have agreed to an interview either.

Stylistically, I felt it was very well edited and organized. I could follow the story and the issues pretty well and even keep track of who was who for the most part. I also took note of the lighting in interviews and saw their use of three or four point lighting.

As I said, I think this was a good film for me to watch, because before I knew very little about the subject, but now I feel like I need to watch or read more about the war so that this film is not the only thing instructing me. It definitely has its angle, and it would be good to see it through a few more angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment